Thursday 20 April 2017

Leeds Young Film Festival

This easter weekend I volunteered at Leeds Young Film Festival!

I was rotared in for Friday Saturday Sunday and even Monday, the whole duration of the festival! 2 days in the VR Zone and 2 days in the Animation Central...

However that soon changed!

When put with the Tilt Brush in the VR zone on Friday because I knew so much about Vives and the programme itself I was able to be loads of help when it came to technical problems... So much help infact the co-ordinator switched me over onto VR again on the saturday instead of Animation Central, which I was very happy about because It was great being in the VR zone giving people experiences for the first ever time in VR, it was special watching peoples reactions.









It was also a brilliant social experiment seeing how people responded to the tools...

Seeing how many people changed the environment, what people drew and how many tested all the brush presets to start off with...

A common theme for people to do was just to select all the brushes in the first 5 minutes and just go mad. Then I saw people drawing rainbows, rainbows was a common theme. 

People liked fire, bright neon strips, stars, anything that glowed...

Many people created candy floss unicorn style worlds... Bright colours and all neon.

A few artists came in with an aim of what to draw and got crafting away creating great 3D sculptures.. many were just amateurs who wanted to try it out for the first time and have a laugh.

We had a wide demographic of people young to old so It was great seeing how everyone approached it.






For the sunday I was whisked away from the VR Zone to Animation Central where I got involved in a SFX workshop with David Bunting...

But I went back over to the VR Zone in my lunch break to see if all hell had broken loose without me where I got told they were inches away from ringing me in the morning because of problems, they were over the moon to have me back on the Monday !

Through being so involved with the VR, this new piece of tech no one new so much about besides a few of the co-ordinators, I built a good relationship with the co-ordinators that I hope will carry through to next year when fingers crossed I can be of aid in the VR developments once more!


I was actually sad to leave the festival!


I really really really enjoyed it, especially most of all the VR! Being so passionate about something shines through and I think thats what many of the co-ordinators saw which is why they wanted me back to help on the saturday and sunday.

We suffered a few technical glitches purely because of the fact the sensors were too close, but no one was to learn that before actually testing, it was just a shame that testing was on the day, but we have learnt now for next year! Where Debbie (the leader of the festival) discussed some bigger greater plans for the VR Zone next year with me.

With my passionate approach to the VR, even through times when people were experiencing glitches, people still were happy and left that way with a good visage of the festival.

My efforts were commended on the co-ordinator Rob Martins twitter feed afterwards;


Which I was really happy about.

I also have emailled Debbie to keep in contact as she mentioned future VR developments she would like me on the board for.



I cant express enough how great an experience this was for me. I have formed new contacts and fingers crossed even established a work connection with Ralph Shephard working on an independant CG animation film of his.

I will be applying next year for sure...

No comments:

Post a Comment